Yesterday I had a pleasure to host a Seudat Hodaa (A Meal of Thanksgiving). My own personal Thanksgiving. I do this every time after having a baby within the first 30 days. It is not a fancy event. Just the closest of my friends. The meal itself was very informal. Just some smoked fish and bread, nice cake and, of course, chocolate. I am not really cooking well enough to expose “company” to the homemade yet.
It was felt really good to sit down to a meal with grown-ups. And it was really nice to count, or at least attempt to count my blessings.
Here is a list of some of the things I am thanking G-d for in no particular order:
1. I am thankful for being able to get pregnant, for being able to carry my baby to term, and for the fact that at some point the pregnancy did finish.
2. I am thankful for having a beautiful healthy baby and for her being a girl.
3. I am thankful for being 39. This one took some doing. I have a lot of friends, who never made it this far. There was a time in my life when I thought I never would.
4. I am thankful for my Husband. Who is a very nice guy. He is the person closest to my heart. He puts up with my craziness and shows his love for me through his deeds. He is my best friend and a perfect partner.
5. I am thankful for my friends. There are times, when I wonder what did I do to deserve such wonderful, zany, helpful people around me. I still do not have the answer. I am just happy that they are there.
6. I am thankful for my kids. For my Little Kids with sloppy kisses, wet noses, huge hugs and tantrums. For my Big Kids with their shy affection, quick hugs, teen, or pre-teen angst. For the help they give me and the help I give them. I am thankful that they are healthy, bossy, imaginative and kind. G-d knows I did not do anything special to deserve them. It is just a gift from G-d. And I cherish it.
7. I am thankful for my Parents, my Sister and my Grandma. They do not understand why I chose this lifestyle, but they accept it. It took a long time to get to that acceptance and I am grateful for it.
8. I am thankful for my health. Physical and mental. For being able to move and walk (even in the limited way). I am thankful for pain. It took a long time to realize that this too is a gift.
9. I am thankful for my ability to knit, crochet and bead. For the ability to be creative. For an ability to have an idea and being able to make it happen.
10. I am thankful to G-d for giving me the strength to believe that all You give me is good.
I am also very touched and thankful to my Internet friends Beverooni and Gramma2many. They have send me some very special gifts for my baby.
Bev, this baby coat is gorgeous! I love the colors, and the work is absolutely amazing!
Thank you Gramma2many for the cute baby outfit. And for your thoughtfulness and care with which you selected it.