They are done. I have just finished the second thumb. No more frogging for these little mitts!
Tomorrow morning DS# 1 will have warm hands. The question is – how long will he hold on to them. I am not going to think about that.
I had a few different problems designing and knitting these mittens. This pair of mittens was made from Hauk, by Dale of Norway. While I love the yarn and think that Teflon-covered wool was made for lively boys, it does not behave like regular wool. The stitches do not “share space”, they stay where they were put, and the yarn has very little elasticity. So I kept getting hole near the thumb. Finally, I decided to go with the provisional cast on for that difficult digit.
My second challenge was in the recipient himself. While DS #1 has definitely grown a bit in the last few months, he is still very skinny. So the bottom of his palm was a lot wider than his fingers past the thumb. Another kid could probably live with it. By not this one. He asked me to do something about the extra fabric. I tried different decreases and just was not happy with the look. In the end, I decided to go with a good old ribbing. He loved it. The mitten fits perfectly, even if it looks a bit funny.
The second mitten took me about an hour to make. The pattern is relatively simple. It will make wonderful thick mittens, that can take on the wind and snow and still keep the little hands warm.