I have been working again on my Daffodil Socks. After all, they have been started a while ago and I want them done before the actual daffodils start coming up in the gardens. I love the yarn and the colorway is very pretty.
Because there is not much yarn in the hank, I really do not want to loose even a yard of yarn if I can use it. So, I decided to knit this socks from the toe up. I have only done this once before, a few years ago, in the thicker worsted weight yarn.
Well, I had an old pattern, that I was modifying as I went along. Well… My troubles started when I got to the heel. It worked, kind of. When I was done with the heel there were two rows of gaping holes going up each side of the heel. After debating and hibernating the sock for a while I decided, that I could not live with it. So I ripped.
Then I posted a “help me” on the Socknitters group on Yahoo. The knitters there are very helpful, and I got tons of practical advise. What finally worked for me was a slip stitch heel. It looks almost as if the socks were made top down, and fits my foot better. The only problem with it was that because of the gusset the sock ended up being about 2 inches too long. So, I ripped again. I have finally finished re-knitting it last night. It looks good (look Ma, no holes…) and it fits good. Now I have to come up with the pattern for the top. I decided to start on making the foot of the second sock, while I am trying to figure out what I want to do with the leg. I am glad I am doing this Toe-Up, there is less then a third of the ball left after making the foot. If I would have started Top-Down, I would have run short.
The toe is already done.