OK, what can you do if a huge bottle, full of olive oil sails of the counter and lands on the floor with explosive results? Do not panic, here is a simple way to take care of the situation.
You will need:
1 or more packages of table salt.
1 or more rolls of paper towels
1 face with the martyred look on it.
Here is how we deal with it:
1. Discuss at length who it was, who put the darn bottle too close to the edge of the counter. And who was it, who did not notice a huge bottle while rummaging for something this person can not possibly need. Ever. At all.
2. Ask G-d (or other recognized higher authority) why you have to deal with this today on top of everything else.
3. Explain to everyone within hearing distance how dangerous the broken glass is, how hard stooping is for you and vividly describe the condition of your back. If the kids too young to understand draw for them a slipped disk, so they can recognize it if they ever see one. Now you are not just whining, you are being educational too.
4. Pick out big pieces of glass and throw them away.
5. Pour the table salt generously over oil until all oil is absorbed.
6. Using paper towels scoop up as much of the salt as you can and throw it away.
7. Sweep up the rest of the salt.
All done. Get your feet up and have a chocolate. You deserve it!